What do all of those real estate acronyms in the ads mean?
If you find yourself stumbling over weird acronyms in a real estate listing, don't be alarmed. There is method to the madness of this shorthand (which is mostly adopted by sellers to save money in advertising charges). Here are some abbreviations and the meaning of each, taken from a recent newspaper classified section:
* assum. fin. -- assumable financing
* CMA -- comparative market analysis or competitive market analysis. A CMA is a report that shows prices of homes that are comparable to a subject home and that were recently sold, are currently on the market or were on the market, but not sold within the listing period. * dk -- deck
* expansion pot'l -- may be extra space on the lot, or possibly vertical potential for a top floor or room addition. Verify actual potential by checking local zoning restrictions prior to purchase. * fab pentrm -- fabulous pentroom, a room on top, underneath the roof, that sometimes has views * FDR -- formal dining room (not the former president) * frplc, fplc, FP -- fireplace
* gar -- garage (garden is usually abbreviated "gard") * grmet kit -- gourmet kitchen * HDW, HWF, Hdwd -- hardwood floors * hi ceils -- high ceilings * In-law potential -- potential for a separate apartment. Sometimes, local zoning codes restrict rentals of such units so be sure the conversion is legal first. * large E-2 plan -- this is one of several floor plans available in a specific building * lock box -- locked key-holding device affixed to a for-sale home so real estate professionals can gain entry into the home after obtaining permission from the listing agent
* lsd pkg. -- leased parking area, may come with an additional cost * lo dues -- find out just how low these homeowner's dues are, and in comparison to what?
* Main -- Main floor
* MLS -- Multiple Listing Service. An MLS is an organization that collects, compiles and distributes information about homes listed for sale by its members, who are real estate brokers. Membership isn't open to the general public, although selected MLS data may be sold to real estate listings Web sites. MLSs are local or regional. There is no MLS covering the whole country. * nr bst schls -- near the best schools * pvt -- private * pwdr rm -- powder room, or half-bath * upr- upper floor * vw, vu, vws, vus -- view(s) * Wow! -- better check this one out.